19 February 2026

Destiny 2’s Next Major Update Has Been Officially Delayed

By newsgame


Bungie has officially confirmed that Destiny 2‘s Shadow and Justice update has been delayed until June 9, 2026, and will also receive a brand-new name. Once Bungie’s flagship live-service game, Destiny 2s reputation has taken a hit over the past couple of years. Players have been frustrated with the studio’s development decisions, believing that the game is heading down the wrong path.

After the release of Renegades last year, which was another controversial update for Destiny 2, all eyes were on the next update, Shadow and Order. The mid-sized expansion was originally supposed to release on March 2, 2026, according to the Year of Prophecy roadmap. However, in January 2026, Forbes writer Paul Tassi reported that his sources told him that the Destiny 2 Shadow and Justice update had been delayed to an unknown date. Bungie didn’t comment on the situation at the time, which left fans curious about the update’s status.

destiny 2 call to arms universal ornament

Destiny 2 Community Challenge Offers Players a Unique ‘Dark Age’ Inspired Reward

Bungie announces The Dark Age Hunt community challenge for Destiny 2, confirming the start time, rules, and showing off the unique reward on offer.

Destiny 2 Shadow and Order Update Officially Delayed

Now, Bungie has officially stated on Twitter that the Destiny 2 Shadows and Order update has been pushed back to June 9, 2026. According to the developer, the Destiny 2 update is going through “large revisions.” It will now include a bunch of sizable quality-of-life updates and will receive a brand-new name. Bungie has stated that it will share more details as the new launch date for the update approaches.

In addition to the update, players can also expect to see more details about the previously announced Weapon Tier Upgrading and another bunch of additions, such as Pantheon 2.0, Tier 5 Stats for Exotic Armors, and more. Bungie has also said that through June, it will continue to roll out new bug fixes, stability improvements, ongoing portal modifiers, Guardian Games in March, and the return of Iron Banner cadence in April.

While Bungie says that it’s reworking the Shadow and Order update, it’s worth keeping in mind that the studio’s upcoming extraction shooter Marathon is all set to release on March 5. The title has already gone through a bunch of different controversies, including allegations of art plagiarism and delays. With such a major release right around the corner, Bungie obviously doesn’t want to divide its fans between the two games, and pushing back the Destiny 2 update could allow Marathon to get the attention it desperately needs.

Although there has been a lot of criticism surrounding Bungie’s handling of Destiny 2, the studio seems to be listening to player feedback. The recent Destiny 2 patch has addressed bugs and glitches that have been affecting the game for a while now. There are also rumors that Destiny 3 is in development, but for now, players are hoping the Shadows and Order update can put Destiny 2 back on track.


Destiny 2 Tag Page Cover Art


Released

August 28, 2017

ESRB

T For TEEN for Blood, Language, and Violence